20 June 2009

New Jersey

Barnegat Light, Long Beach Island



I couldn't wait to come here. All these years I had never been to the lighthouse near my grandmother's house, and recently it was restored and now beams a bright beacon once more. I learned that George Meade, the Union general, was responsible for its design and construction; as a government engineer before the Civil War, inspecting the old lighthouse, he foresaw that light's crumbling into the sea and recommended replacing it.

We had a lovely picnic on the bay, and then...

Joshua scampered with alacrity up more than 200 steps! I could barely keep up with him! David also climbed all the way up by himself, but not quite so quickly, probably to the relief of the rest of the party.



Happy climbers at the summit, not even breaking a sweat.



Out on the catwalk it was quite windy and I lost my sunglasses, but the view was beautiful. My favorite sight was the southern tip of Island Beach State Park, where we used to go to the beach when I was little.


We all enjoyed the sunshine and the ocean views, and I - this is one of my quirky things - particularly delighted in the salty air. I insisted that we roll down the windows in the van so I could smell the sea.

Grandma Monika generously suggested we stop for ice cream on the way home.
David very decidedly wanted a chocolate ice cream cone.




And he thoroughly enjoyed eating it!



Joshua and David had a wonderful time with their dear GG. She is one in a million!


She even gave us a plant to take home!


It was somewhat of a mystery plant until it just bloomed. It turned out to be a Black-eyed Susan, which I recently read is the Maryland state flower. Isn't that fitting?

Thank you, GG, for letting us visit - we love you so very much! And thank you, Mom and Dad, for joining us in Philadelphia and Forked River. It was so fun to be with you and such a blessing to have your help in caring for the boys!

No comments: