David always eats his sandwich halves from the middle, making a U-shape that hugs his cheeks and thereon deposits coats of whatever sticky substance is holding the sandwich together. A few evenings ago Chris asked him "Can you eat your sandwich from the end?" I think Chris was hoping to teach David to be less messy. David, eager to oblige, flipped his sandwich around so the crust was squarely centered in his mouth (ready to make a new U on the other side), and innocently said, "Like this?"
David and Joshua have also recently discovered how to pull their cheek skin down to reveal the red under their lower eyelids. Why must they "pull" this hideous trick at meals? Even though I know I did it when I was a kid, it grosses me out now!
The other day I was holding David on the couch and suddenly it hit me that he was going to grow to be a man someday, Lord-willing. So I asked him what he thought about being a man. He got a look of eager anticipation on his face and exclaimed, "And then I can have coffee?!"
In contrast, a few days later Chris coincidentally asked Joshua (without my telling him the above story) "What does it mean to be a man?" Joshua earnestly declared, "A man is someone who goes to work, comes home and eats dinner with his family, and gets up and goes to work again."
20 June 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
cute stories - thanks for sharing! the girlies have a recent fascination with coffee too. it is all they serve at their tea parties and they will often "make" me some during the day. such a treat to see how little ones process things.
Post a Comment