10 January 2008

Mormorsmor Kajsa

This is Kajsa, my Swedish grandmother. "Mor" is Swedish for "mother." Hence, "Mormorsmor" is Swedish for "mother's mother's mother." Mormorsmor Kajsa (which Joshua can actually make a creditable attempt to enunciate clearly) came to the United States to see her great-grandsons this Christmas. She is aging quite gracefully and keeps her mind and body sharp and active. I think this photo aptly conveys Kajsa's quality of carrying herself with distinction, just like the distinguished yet comfortable homes in the background. As long as I can remember Mormor, she has always been well-dressed, well-groomed, and sitting or standing up straight, yet these qualities never seemed affected but part of her nature. I've never asked her why she places high importance on appearance, so I could be wrong, but I think that in part, this image communicates something of her pride and endurance to the outside world, and in part, it is a reflection of an inner strength. She lost her father while still a child and has now been widowed for these past 22 years. I am touched and amazed by the efforts she has recently put forth, despite the expense and exhausting work of traveling overseas, to show her love for me by being at our wedding in 2003, coming to meet baby Joshua in the spring of 2006, and now coming again to meet David in 2007. Mormor, we are grateful to you for the time, money, and effort you have lavished on us. We hope for even more time together in the future!

Posted by Picasa

No comments: