I cut David's hair today. I cut Joshua's too, but that wasn't emotional. As I swept away the strands of hair, I felt like I was sweeping away my baby. Trimming the hair revealed what I already knew in my heart but wasn't yet willing to acknowledge: that underneath that sunshiny mop, David had grown from a baby to a boy. Now he looks the part! Here's my interpretation of the experience in verse. When the camera batteries are ready to cooperate, I'll post a picture.
Haircut
Big blue eyes
Dancing bright
Fly away curls
Wisps of light
Full red lips
Kissable cheeks
Laughing grin
Sharp shiny teeth
Bundle of joy
Cloaked in white
Clippers drone
Strands of babyhood
Cut. Gone.
Where is my little one?
You are a big boy!
3 comments:
maria, i can definitely relate to how you feel! i think i think that almost every day that i look into my little boy's eyes. every phase with them is such a blessing, but you do miss those baby days! how it makes you cherish each day you have with them!
oh it's so sad!! I feel like that about Mary all the time even though she really isn't a baby at all anymore. Great poem!
WONDERFUL POEM! I know exactly how you feel! Mica just got her first haircut 2 weeks ago and it made me sad! (She couldn't see, her bangs were all the way in her face...I put the hair cut off as long as possible!) I've been so sentimental about time lately...The kids are growing up too fast! :)
Post a Comment