22 May 2008

Winchester






We went to Winchester accompanying Renee to an appointment she had at Shenandoah University. While she was in her meeting, we explored the historic district. ("Ooh, Old Town, that would be nice!" remarked Joshua, thinking of Gaithersburg's railroad bliss. And his hopes were fulfilled, we did in fact see a train - back to back diesel switch engines painted "Winchester & Western," as he would inform you in detail.) It is a quaint little slow-paced place where I'd like to spend more time some day. I think Winchester changed hands a hundred or more times in the course of the Civil War, so there are almost countless landmarks and interesting, out of the way museums of historical interest. On this brief trip we saw one museum - not a historical one - and a coffee shop! It's just as well I didn't see the bookstore until we were on our way to the car to go pick up Renee.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

The Hapes said...

Sounds like a WONDERFUL place...afterall, Winchester is my maiden name...:)
Cousin Leisa in the Hoosier State!!