13 August 2007

A word on words

Perhaps you have been wondering why the vocab list has ceased to be updated. Frankly, Joshua is talking much too fast for us to catch everything! He is now putting 4 words together on a regular basis and can make a creditable attempt to repeat almost everything we say. He is still hard to understand to the untrained ear because he leaves off some syllables or ending sounds, but his articulation is improving daily. For example caboose has gone from "a-boo" to "ka-boo" recently. (By the way, rail fans, he can also identify tank car, box car, flat car, "double" tank car, coal car, hopper car, gondola, big steam engine, diesel engine, electric train, passenger train, dome car, railroad track, railroad crossing, crossing gate (goes up and down), signal tower, flashing lights, whistle, ding ding, hobby shop, and the list could go on.... And it is significant that his first 4-word sentence was "Old Towne watch trains.") As you can tell, we are finding it hard to get a word in edgewise. And beware, us parents, for our utterances are going to be retold far and wide! (As in "oh-kay!" - that's Chris - and "oh dear!" - that's me.)

Another anecdote on Joshua: Joshua is kind of like a hobbit and frequently has a "second breakfast." Today during his morning snack, he and I read Psalm 23 and discussed the term "shepherd." I then proceeded to sing the hymn of Psalm 23 and much to my amusement and a bit to my chagrin, Joshua covered both his ears and started droning loudly, "hmmmmmm." I know I'm not musically gifted, but I didn't think I sounded THAT bad!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maria - this is so funny. it reminded me of when Maggie was that age and I was singing to her. I thought she would enjoy it. Instead she looked at me and said, "Mommy, Stop singing!" ha ha ha Luckily, Mackenzie likes it when I sing to her!
:) Erin (and all the Millers)