05 August 2007

My day in a tuxedo

So, on Friday, Daddy and I drove to Lynchburg, VA, for the wedding of one of my Dad's college buddies. Mommy and David went to Richmond, VA, where Mommy threw a wedding shower for her college friend. I missed my Mommy, but it was good to get special time with my Dad. Anyway, for this wedding, I was asked to be the ring-bearer. I wasn't sure I was up for the task, so I practiced a lot in the weeks leading up to the wedding. You see, ever since the Memorial Day parade, I've had a weakness for marching, and have encouraged my family to march with me around the house whenever a marching song plays on the CD player (which is why I always ask to listen to my CD of patriotic songs). Recently, I've been marching while carrying a pillow, because that's what ring-bearers do. Also, I got fitted for a tuxedo, and we found one just my size.

We rehearsed at the chapel on Friday night. It was a lot of pressure at first. Many strange people were telling me what to do and where to go. I just wanted to take it all in from the vantage point of my Daddy's arms.
However, on the day of the wedding, I learned that if I walked all the way down the aisle to where my Daddy was sitting, then a trumpet would play. Boy, I sure wanted to hear that trumpet! So, when it was my turn to march, I started off. At first I was with two flower girls who were slightly older than me. They went on ahead, as I contemplated whether I could really do it or not. A friend of mine helped me at the beginning, and then I saw Daddy waving at me way up in the second row. I smiled back, and took a few steps. Then I realized that everyone in the whole chapel was looking at me! I paused, smiled a bit, and then remembered that trumpet. I kept progressing forward, still flummoxed as to why all these people were looking at me. I have to admit I blushed a bit. But now Daddy was so close, just a few more steps, and... there, I made it! The trumpet played, the couple got hitched, and everyone thought I was the cutest thing since Shirley Temple.
Now for some wedding libations!
Posted by Picasa