05 January 2006

Grandpa Kinsinger


Grandpa Kinsinger was the last grandparent to both hear of and meet Joshua. The reason being that he was abroad until December 17. He received a phone call the morning after Joshua's birth, which was intended to inform him of the news. However, that conversation proceeded as follows:
The caller: "Hi Dad! How are you?"

Grandpa Kinsinger: "Oh, hi. Um... Could you call back in 10 minutes? I just started another ping-pong match, and the score is 3-2. This will be our last one. It'll be over in 10 minutes, and then I'll be going home. Sorry."

The caller, a bit caught off guard: "Well, I guess so."

And as an obedient son, he swallowed the second $0.37 connection fee and called back after 10 minutes. Grandpa Kinsinger had lost the match 11-2, the news of which restored some semblance of justice to the caller's worldview. Upon hearing the news of his grandson, Grandpa Kinsinger was both overjoyed and repentant.

And so the story ping-pong match which was more important than the news of a grandson is forever etched into the annals of blogdom.