22 September 2009

La•bile (lā' bīl') adj.

1. Open to change; adaptable.
2. Chemistry Constantly undergoing or likely to undergo change; unstable; capable of changing state or becoming inactive when subjected to heat or radiation.
3. Medicine Readily or frequently changing, as a: readily or continually undergoing chemical, physical, or biological change or breakdown b: characterized by wide fluctuations c: emotionally unstable.

Yesterday, David's pediatrician mentioned offhandedly that the albuterol he is taking to open up his air passages (due to a wheezy, coughy cold he and Joshua have contracted) may make him more "labile." Today we are learning what this word means.

A few examples:

He gets yellow mac'n'cheese stains on my shirt. I change. "Mommy, I don't like that shirt. Take it off. I want you to look nice. I want you to look like William's mommy."

Receives a granola bar, plays vigorously with it, finds it broken. Result: Tantrum.

Joshua attempts to console, receives a shove. "Joshua, go away. I want you to go in the living room."

Expresses desire to go to bed, hears that he must brush his teeth and change his diaper as usual. Result: Tantrum.

I can't fully describe the nonsensical defiance, screaming, and battle of the wills going on here today, but let's just say I'm thankful he's sleeping now. This is nothing like the sweet, sleepy, cooperative, angelic boy of yesterday, cuddling close to Mommy through the doctor appointment and chest x-ray, who took a 4 hour nap. That was Jekyll; this is Hyde! We are thankful the inhaler and the steroids seem to be working great on the lungs - of course because David is recovering, but also so that we may not need these awful drugs much longer!

1 comment:

amy said...

maria, i can't believe you posted what david said! i thought that was so hilarious. you should bring him over when i'm not expecting to see anyone. i think i'd shock his little heart with my t-shirts and baggy sweatpants, which are my fav. i'm sure it's just the drugs talking. ;) he probably won't even remember saying that when he's all better. what a funny little guy!