28 January 2009

Piggers



These two apparitions careened crazily around our upstairs for several minutes.
"Are you bee keepers?" I ask.
"No, we're piggers!" says Joshua.
"Pickles?" I am confused.
"No, piggers!"
"What is a pigger?" I really want to know.
"Well, a pigger is something that puts a laundry bag over its face."
Oh. That doesn't really clear it up.

Later, just to clarify, I began this line of questioning again.
This time, Joshua's definition of "pigger" was this:
"A pigger is someone who puts pigs away on a farm."
Oh. That makes a lot more sense!

Could this all be inspired by Charlotte's Web?
We've been reading the book aloud and at the moment have a Lego farm housing a spider named Charlotte and a little white pig named Wilbur. And now, we have piggers.

How wonderful that imaginations don't get snowed in! And happy pigging, or reading, or whatever it is you do for fun on an icy day.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

amy said...

it's great to see how the boys are responding to you and chris, as you open up the world of books to them. i still can't get over that you guys are reading "charlotte's web" to them! =) it must be exciting to see how their understanding of it plays out in their imagination and play time.