28 October 2008

China, Part VI

First of all, Qingdao is a beautiful city of 8 1/2 million people. We were honestly quite surprised by how clean it was most of the time, on the ground and in the air (and people did swim in the water there but I don't think I would). Along the lengthy waterfront rises a tall skyline, which you can't even fully see at one time because it bends around two sides of a peninsula. Not too far inland a sharply rising, striking mountain range dwarfs the cityscape so that at times one doesn't know whether the mountain or ocean view is more captivating. We enjoyed plenty of walking around in such a pleasant environment, and the weather was absolutely perfect the whole time. Here are some samples of sculpture and architecture that we enjoyed in Qingdao.




I found myself astonished at how much I liked the sculptures. It's not an art form I've been drawn to or easily appreciated before. But in Qingdao, they were almost all pleasing to my eye and seemingly understandable. The large amount and pleasing aspect of the sculpture in Qingdao will stand in my memory as one of the unexpected happy surprises of our visit. The top one is in Music Square, and the bottom one is near the entrance to the Olympic village for the sailing regatta.




This is just a sliver of the skyline, but I especially liked the building on the left. Another favorite is below.

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

amy said...

qingdao does look amazing and incredibly modernized. i can't believe you were in china! =)